The World of Little League® Museum will be hosting its annual Kids’ Day on Saturday, November 18, in South Williamsport. Co-hosted by WVIA Public Media, Pittston, and partially funded by a grant administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, the event will include arts and crafts, games, interactive experiences, story time, photo opportunities, and a visit from Whyatt of “Super Why and PBS Kids” and Little League’s lovable mascot, Dugout.
Attendance to the Kids’ Day event is free and will take place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. inside the World of Little League Museum (located at 525 Montgomery Pike, U.S. 15). The museum will be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
“Kids’ Day is one of the annual highlights we always enjoy,” said Lance Van Auken, Little League Vice President and World of Little League Museum Executive Director. “Having Whyatt here will be fun for kids of all ages, and we have our friends at WVIA to thank for that.”
In addition to the interactive experiences within the Museum, visitors may enjoy Storytime with Debby the WVIA Clubhouse Mom, as well as three meet-and-greet visits with Dugout and Whyatt. Parents are encouraged to take photos.
“WVIA looks forward to Kids’ Day at The World of Little League Museum each year,” said Debby the Clubhouse Mom. “We are proud to partner with such a fine community and family-minded organization that puts children first. We enjoy watching the children as they meet a favorite PBS character at Kids’ Day and plan to be a part of this event for years to come. Hope to see you at Kids’ Day at the World of Little League Museum on November 18!”
Along with Little League and WVIA, more than 15 youth service agencies and organizations supporting youth activities or their parents will be in attendance with information tables throughout the museum and activities for the children. Visitors donating a new toy valued at $10 or more to Toys for Tots will receive a complimentary return visit to the Museum.
Below is a list of organizations set to attend the event (activities provided in parentheses):
- WVIA Public Media (Storytime, colorful foam shape necklace craft)
- Williamsport Crosscutters (Prize drop)
- Susquehanna Valley CASA – Voices for Children (Face painting)
- Pennsylvania College of Technology’s Student American Dental Hygienist Association (Free toothbrushes, dental floss demonstrations and clinic information)
- Penn State Extension, Lycoming 4-H (Mr. Yuck activity)
- Girl Scouts in the Heart of Pennsylvania (ping pong ball catapult)
- KidsPeace (Slime making)
- North Central Sight Services (Vision Screening)
- DeWald Chiropractic (Free Spinal Screening for Children)
- Kingdom Kidz (Hands-on Activity with Puppets)
- Occupational Therapy Assistants at Pennsylvania College of Technology (activities for the five senses)
- Student American Dental Hygienists’ Association at Pennsylvania College of Technology (free toothbrushes, dental floss demonstrations and clinic information)
- Student Nurses Association at Pennsylvania College of Technology (Healthy Choices activity, kid-friendly recipe)
- Williamsport Branch of the YMCA (coloring, prize, info)
- Also participating are: Little League Challenger Division®; Macaroni Kid (prize); Mothers of Preschoolers (prize wheel), Northway Presbyterian.
The schedule of events is as follows:
9 a.m. – Museum opens for set up and general admission
10 a.m. – Kids’ Day opens with free admission
10:30 a.m. – Meet and Greet with Dugout, Little League’s mascot, and Whyatt from “Super Why”
Noon – Story time with Debby, the WVIA Clubhouse Mom
12:30 p.m. – Meet and Greet Dugout and Whyatt
1 p.m. – Story time with Debby, the WVIA Clubhouse Mom
1:30 p.m. – Meet and Greet with Dugout and Whyatt
2 p.m. – Kids’ Day events conclude
5 p.m. – Museum closes for day